Saudi “Jareesh” is one of the most traditional dishes that have been known since ancient times in the Arabian Gulf Region. It is always served in banquets, weddings and social events. “Jareesh” is a healthy dish that has proteins, minerals and vitamins.
Here we share the recipe for Saudi “Jareesh”.
2 cups Jareesh (crushed wheat)
3 cups yogurt
1 finely chopped onion
Chicken breast cut into small pieces
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp hot green pepper
2 cups water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
• Add butter to a deep saucepan over low heat until it melts.
• Add onions and stir well, then add chicken and continue stirring for at least five minutes.
• Add water gradually, cover the pot, and leave it on medium heat for at least one and half hour, until fully cooked.
• Add yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and chili.
• Give it a good mix.
• Leave the mixture again on low heat for 15 minutes.
• When cooked completely, take the pot away from heat, leave to cool and serve.